Recommended.co.nz | Guide2.co.nz | Voxy.co.nz | Gimme.co.nz
Homepage | login or create an account

Funding For Auckland Sexual Abuse Helpline Under Threat

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media
Annette King
Annette King

Wellington, May 26 NZPA - ACC has been asked to continue funding the Auckland sexual abuse helpline for another three months although the corporation is acting outside its legal boundaries, Parliament was told today.

Labour's deputy leader, Annette King, said ACC had pulled the plug on funding for the 24-hour service.

"ACC has funded this service at a cost of about $350,000 a year but they will not continue this funding in the next financial year," she said during a debate on ACC.

"It has been a marvellous assistance to many women who have faced sexual abuse."

ACC Minister Nick Smith said the problem was that the funding that was provided in lump sum form was outside the boundaries of what ACC could legally pay for.

He said Auckland Central MP Nikki Kaye had raised it with him last week, and with his associate minister Pansy Wong.

"We're concerned about the impact of this," Dr Smith said.

"A letter has gone to ACC asking for a three-month extension of funding."

Dr Smith said there would be a review to find out who should fund the service and he expected a report next month.

NZPA PAR pw gt

About Guide2.co.nz : Politics

Find the latest politics and election news, 'how to' guides and party policies on Guide2Politics.

 

Your Questions. Independent Answers.