If anyone knows about stretching a dollar, it’s university students. If there’s a bargain on food, clothes, entertainment or alcohol – chances are these seasoned penny-pinchers, used to living on a shoestring, can point you in the right direction.
Whilst I wouldn’t recommend adopting this as a long term diet, here are some ideas that might get you through til pay day.
1. Two Minute Noodles – truly the uni student’s friend. Eat plain with just the seasoning provided or with a few of your favourite stir-fry veges thrown in, they fit all the uni student’s criteria: cheap, quick, filling and tasty.
2. Pasta Surprise – boil up whatever pasta you can find in the cupboard, drain and put back in saucepan. Add a dash of sweet chilli sauce (or a taco salsa sauce, or whatever sauce you like/have) and a handful of grated cheese. Put back on the burner, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted through and eat. Mmmm-mmmm, love that sticky cheesy goodness!
3. Two Can Stew – 1 can of tuna, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, mix with some noodles and you’ll have dinner for days!
4. Chilli Con Carne – there’s stacks of simple recipes around for this one, with cheap and super tasty ingredients. Cook up a batch on pay day and freeze in meal-size portions, ready for those “on the bones of your bum” days. Or if you’re feeling rich, grab a bag of corn chips and some sour cream!
5. Vege bake – boil and mash potatoes and pumpkin (you can also add whatever veges you’ve got left in the fridge – though if you’re a uni student that’s possibly not many), put in a baking dish, cover with grated cheese and grill or back til melted.
Of course, if all else fails – do what all good uni students do – go home to Mum and Dad for a decent feed.
Mary Holm: Get Rich Slow: How to Grow Your Wealth the Safe and Savvy Way
Martin Hawes: Twenty Good Summers: Work Less, Live More and Make the Most of Your Money
Liz Koh: Your Money Personality: Unlock the Secret to a Rich and Happy Life
Martin Hawes and Joan Baker: : Coach Yourself to Wealth: Live the Life You Want
Anton Nadilo and Andrew Lendnal: Budget Wise, Dollar Rich: The New Zealand Guide